Mysterious text appears, slides advance unexpectedly (Ghosties Ex Machina)
You're doing some typing in PowerPoint and suddenly text appears .... text that you didn't type.
Or you start a presentation that's always worked fine and suddenly it seems to go mad.
First verify that:
- It's not Halloween, Beltane, Samhain, etc.
- You haven't insulted anyone who celebrates any of the above holidays
- There are no black cats in the area
- There are no cats of any color strolling across the keyboard
- The computer's not equipped with a Oija-brand video board
Next, here are some things to check for:
- Stuck Key - if the text consists of only one repeated character or the computer starts wildly scrolling or the like, see if the key's stuck. Or perhaps there's a book or elbow resting on the key.
- Voice Recognition - If you have voice recognition software installed, you may need to disable it, or at least stop talking to yourself while you type. Or unplug the microphone.