Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Office 2003 released
Service Pack 3 for Office 2003 has been released.
You can download it here:
Learn more about the service pack here:
- Description of Office 2003 Service Pack 3
- Issues that are fixed in PowerPoint 2003 by Office 2003 Service Pack 3
- Issues that are fixed in Office 2003 by Office 2003 Service Pack 3
- You receive an error message when you try to open a file or to save a file after you install Office 2003 Service Pack 3
- Information about certain file formats that are blocked after you install Office 2003 Service Pack 3
I don't have Office 2003 but I'm offered the SP3 update
You have a version of Office other than 2003 and when you check for updates, you're offered SP3 for Office 2003.
Cause: If Office 2003 Web Components are installed, you'll be offered an SP3 update.
Where do Office 2003 Web Components come from and how do you know whether you have them?
They're optionally installed with Office 2003, but if Office 2003 has been uninstalled, the Web Components would be uninstalled also, so you wouldn't be asked to update them. However, if you (or more likely some other program like MS Money or SQL Server) has installed them, you may still be prompted to update. If they're installed, there will be a listing for them in Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. If you're certain you don't need or want the Office Web Components, you can remove them there.
If security is a concern, it's probably best to accept the update.