Office 2010 Click-to-Run
Click-To-Run? Run! Away!
When you purchase Office Home and Student 2010 or Office Home and Business 2010 online, you'll be directed by default to install what Microsoft calls the Click-To-Run (CTR) version of Office. Office 2010 Starter is a CTR version of Office also.
In my opinion, this is an incredibly silly thing for Microsoft to do.
Here's why, directly from MS Mouth: Known Click-to-run issues
In case you don't have time to read the whole thing, here's a summary of some of the problems you might expect to run into:
- Add-ins may not work. They may not load, or may not work correctly once loaded.
- Registry settings that should affect PowerPoint don't work.
- Some SharePoint functionality may not function.
- SharePoint Picture Library or PowerPoint Slide Library are unavailable.
- Help displays in the language of the CTR product. You can't use language packs to change it.
- Sending e-mail messages from within a program may not work if you use a third-party email problem (ie, something other than Outlook).
- CTR creates a virtual Q: or R: drive on your computer. If you already have a network drive mapped to one of these letters, you may have to remove the mapping in order to install CTR.
Microsoft suggests this if you run into problems with CTR: Click-to-Run: Switch to using an MSI-based Office edition
"MSI-based" is Microsoft-speak for "The usual installer you get when you purchase a boxed version."
CTR may be difficult to remove, even if only to install a full version. It's better to get the full version in the first place, but if you've installed CTR and get stuck, try this:
Here's a summary of the instructions:
- Save all work, and then close all programs.
- In Control Panel, open Programs and Features to see a list of installed programs.
- Click Microsoft Office Click-To-Run 2010, and then click Uninstall.
- To remove Microsoft Office Click-to-Run, click Yes.
- Go to the
- Microsoft Office alternative fulfillment page (you'll need your username and password to log in).
- Click My account.
- Click Download, and then click Advanced options.
- Follow the instructions.
- To install the MSI-based Microsoft Office edition, run SingleImage.exe.
- When prompted, type your Product Key to continue. The license is the same. You do not need a new Product Key.
From a PowerPoint Forum member about the above:
There's also a Microsoft-supplied "FixIt" to uninstall CTR. When you try to uninstall Office click2run 2010 using kb290301 (MS fixit), you get an error stating problem with client virtualization.
Solution: Start | Run | Services.msc | Client virtualization | Properties | Startup type | Disable\manual |Stop the service | Ok
Restart the computer and then try using FIXIT from kb290301